Q: Is it possible to study at Stanley Academy even though I don’t have medical knowledge?

Of course! At Stanley Academy, we offer two ESL test preparation courses for the ” TSE” and ” “TOEFL”. These courses are for people who want to improve their English grammar, listening, reading, writing and speaking skills. Students will improve their TSE and TOEFL scores within a matter of a few months.


Q: How many students in one class?

There are no more than 6 students in one class. On average, there are 3 students in one class. All of our courses are taught by professional ESL instructors and medical doctors. Stanley Academy offers a very good learning environment because the classes are small and the students are guaranteed to receive individual attention.


Q: What is the Medical English Program?

We offer a specialized course for students who are interested in learning medical English terminology. This is a great course for foreign-trained doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, and medical students who would like to learn how to communicate with their patients and colleagues in English. Students will learn how to read, write and speak in medical terms. This course is also recommended for healthcare workers who would like to work or volunteer in Canada in a healthcare setting. The instructors for the Medical English Program are medical doctors and nurses with ESL teaching experience. The curriculum will be tailored to the student’s specialization and interests. The classes are fun and interactive and there are no requirements for this course. We now offer this course Full-time and Part-time. There is a minimum of four weeks enrolment for this course and students can extend for as long as they like. We will make visits to local medical facilities during the study period.


Q: If I take the course part-time, what is the difference between the morning Medical English course and the afternoon Medical English course?

Morning (9am-12pm)
Contents: The morning class is very enjoyable and takes an academic approach to studying Medical English. The students will study the different systems of the body, diseases, cures and the healthcare system. The medical doctor will explain all the terminology and teach you how to interact with patients and administer drugs and so forth.

Afternoon (1pm-4pm)
Contents: The contents of the morning and afternoon are similar, but the afternoon takes more of a practical approach to studying Medical English with more conversational exercises. You will participate in more roll plays and learn more about diagnosing patients.


Q: What is the TSE?

The TSE is the Test of Spoken English. This test measures the English oral ability of non-native speakers of English. Your performance indicates how your oral language ability might affect your ability to communicate successfully in an academic or professional environment. The exam itself is only 20 minutes in length. The test-taker will listen to a set of questions and answer the questions into a tape recorder. Those who are interested in becoming certified as healthcare professionals must pass the TSE. Students will learn how to speak English fluently and they will be able to answer questions correctly in a specified amount of time. Foreign-trained nurses must get a score of 50 out of 60 on the TSE.


Q: What is the TOEFL?

The TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language. This test is the most accepted measure of English level ability worldwide. Nonnative speakers of English who are interested in attending a Canadian college or university take the TOEFL. Foreign-trained healthcare professionals also need to take the TOEFL to get registered as healthcare professionals in Canada. The TOEFL will test your English ability in listening, structure, reading and writing.


Q: I am a foreign-trained nurse, what is my first step to become a nurse in Canada?
I am a foreign-trained nurse, what is my first step to become a nurse in Canada?
Your first step is to go to the website, www.rnabc.bc.ca and order a nurse registration package. Fill out the registration forms and send the forms to the corresponding places. If you would like assistance in filling out the RN registration forms, you are welcome to contact Stanley Academy at info@stanleyacademy.ca. This is an important first-step because registering with the RNABC (Registered Nurses Association of British Columbia) will determine if you are eligible to become a nurse in Canada.


Q: How long is the application process for RN registration?
The length of time for registration depends upon how quickly the Registered Nurses Association of British Columbia receives the necessary documents. First time registrants in Canada typically take 4-5 months for processing, depending upon which eligibility requirements have to be met.


Q: What are the requirements to become a nurse in Canada?

Nurses who have never been registered in British Columbia can apply to RNABC to have their eligibility for registration assessed. In accordance with the Nurses (Registered) Act and Rules under the Act, each application is assessed to determine if the applicant meets the following requirements:

1. Completion of a nursing education program deemed equivalent to an approved British Columbia program at the time of assessment for registration.
2. Competence to practice as a nurse – based on nursing education or practice hours in the previous five years, employment references, and registration examination results.
3. Good character – based on references, no record of outstanding criminal charges or convictions relevant to the practice of nursing or membership in the Association, and no dishonesty or misrepresentation on application for membership.
4. Fitness to engage in the practice of nursing – based on satisfactory employment references, registration in good standing in other jurisdictions, no health problems that impair ability to practice, and fluency in English.


Q: Will I need to write an examination to become licensed to practice in Canada?

Yes, all Canadian provinces and territories except Quebec require that candidates write the Canadian Nurses Association Registration/Licensure Examination as part of the registration or licensure process. At present, this examination can only be written in Canada on the recommendation of a provincial or territorial nurses association. To receive more information on the RN examination, please visit www.rnabc.bc.ca or www.cna-nurses.ca.
Along with the application form, you must pass English exams to be eligible to write the RN license examination. If English is not your first language, you must achieve a score of 213 (550 paper-based) on the TOEFL and 50 on the TSE or an overall band score of 6.5 with a band score of 7 on the speaking test and no band score less than 6 on the IELTS. The score results of TOEFL/TSE tests or IELTS test of English fluency are to be sent directly to RNABC from the testing centre.


Q: What is the passing score on the RN Exam?

The examination result is reported as pass or fail result only. You will receive your result in the mail 3-5 weeks after the examination. An applicant for registration who has failed the registration examination 3 times will not be eligible to rewrite the examination, unless under exceptional circumstances after a formal appeal has been made and approved by the Board of Directors.


Q: What are the dates of the RN exam for the year 2003?

January 22, 2003
June 4, 2003
August 6, 2003
October 15, 2003
You must apply for the exam more than 2 months in advance of the test date.

Q: How long is the application process to get a work visa?

After confirmation of registration, application information is assessed by Human Resources Development Canada and Citizenship and Immigration Canada. For nurses seeking employment in Canada on a temporary work visa, approval typically takes 8 weeks. Contact Immigration Canada for information on work visas at www.cic.gc.ca.

Q: What is the PNP and how long is the application process for the PNP option?

The BC PNP is an immigration program that allows British Columbia to select highly skilled immigrants to fill critical labour shortages in the province. The BC PNP program expedites the immigration process for internationally trained workers. After confirmation of registration, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) process is initiated. Because the application is to obtain Landed Immigrant Status in Canada, PNP, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada paperwork may take up to 6 months for processing and approval to be granted. If you are applying directly to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the immigration process can take up to 18-24 months. You can take a look at the PNP brochure at: http://www.mcaws.gov.bc.ca/amip/pnp/pdf%20files/nominee_brochure.pdf

Q: What are the Immigration options for Foreign-trained nurses?

There are two options for immigration, please take a look at the immigration flow chart at:

Q: Do I need a Student Visa and how do I obtain one?

You will need a study permit if you are going to study in Canada for more than six months. If you think you might be studying in Canada for more than six months, you should apply for a study permit. To get current Visa information, please visit the Canadian Immigration/Visa website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/.

To obtain a Student Visa, follow these steps:

1. Pick up student authorization forms
You may obtain student authorization forms in your country of origin at the Canadian Embassy. Applications and documentation must then be submitted to the nearest visa office

2. Gather the necessary documents
It is crucial that students submit ALL documentation requested with their applications. Missing documentation will delay the authorization process. The following documentation must be included in student authorization applications:

I. Proof of identity. This includes photocopies of a valid passport or travel document or identity document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it; and four recent passport-size photos (2″ x 2.5″) for each family member, with the full name and date of birth recorded on the back of each photo. Visa officers may also wish to see the actual passport or travel document and will inform you if this is the case.

II. Proof of financial support that shows you will have enough money during your stay in Canada to cover tuition fees, return transportation and $10,000 CDN per annum for living expenses. Documentation for this requirement could be proof of a Canadian bank account or a bank draft in convertible currency, bank statements for the past four to six months, or proof of payment of tuition and residence fees. (As a guideline, $10,000 CDN plus tuition fees per academic year is generally viewed as sufficient.) |

III. A medical examination in your country of origin. Medical exams are required if your stay is longer than six months. Please note that medical processing will add several weeks to the time necessary to obtain a student authorization. In some cases, you may need a medical examination even though your course is less than six months in duration. In these instances, a visa officer will determine whether you will require a medical examination and will send you the appropriate medical forms and instructions.

IV. Proof of acceptance by an approved educational institution. The following information must be included in letters of acceptance: name, date of birth, mailing address of student; the course for which the student has been accepted; the estimated duration or date of completion of the course; the date on which the course begins; the last date on which the student must register for the course; the academic year which the student will be entering; whether the course is full or part-time; the tuition fee; any conditions related to acceptance; clear identification of the educational institution; and licensing information for private institutions. This letter must be signed by an authorized representative of the institution.

3. Visit the Visa Office
Once you have completed the application forms and have gathered the necessary documentation, go to the visa office nearest to you and submit the forms and required information along with a student authorization fee. When reviewing your student authorization application, a visa officer must be satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations and that you will only be in Canada temporarily. Once the visa officer is satisfied that you are a “bona fide” student and all statutory requirements are met, you will be issued a document which must be shown to an immigration officer at the port of entry in Canada in order to obtain a student authorization. As your student authorization will normally be valid for the duration of your course, please ensure that your travel document (passport) is also valid for that same period of time.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons